Netflix Auditions: How to Increase Your Chances of Landing a Role in a Netflix Show
Ah, Netflix. The world’s number one streaming channel has continuously rolled out the goods for audiences over the past few years. Be it films or binge-worthy series, there is a show tailored for all kinds of viewers.
For this reason alone, Netflix has become a mecca for actors looking to get there name out there or to simply boost their already-rising career. Millie Bobby Brown for example, her breakthrough role in Stranger Things propelled the young star to global stardom.
Well-known Hollywood actors are dipping their feet into Netflix as well. Brad Pitt and Will Smith both have Netflix features under their name. Oscar winner Emma Stone is also developing a Netflix series to be released this year.
So with the high number of viewership and big-budget productions, maybe it is time for you to jump on the Netflix bandwagon too. Here’s a guide on how you can sign up for Netflix auditions.
How You Can Sign Up for Netflix Auditions
Ready the basic requirements
First off, you need to prepare the following:
- Showreel. Also known as a demo reel, a showreel is a short video showcasing an actor’s previous works. The average length of your showreel should be up to 2 to 3 minutes in length.
- Headshot. Headshots are portraits where the focus is on the person’s face. A majority of industry headshots are in an 8″ x 10″ format.
- CV/Resume. CV/resumes are necessary for auditions, all of your acting credits including unpaid work and drama school productions must be listed down.
Get a good agent
Acting roles are nearly impossible to get without an agent nowadays. Working with a reputable agent will give you chance to work on bigger gigs, and yes, that includes working on the Netflix productions of your dreams.
Research, research, research
While agents help find suitable jobs for you, it is important to keep in mind that waiting by the phone for their call 24/7 won’t do you any good. Websites such as Explore Talent offer services where actors can look into a string casting calls around the country, even the ones closest to them—and that includes Netflix auditions! The more informed you are about what’s going on in the industry, the bigger your chances of booking a job.
Bagged an audition slot for that next Netflix pilot? Well, you better be prepared.
- Know your actor “type.” As an actor, you need to know yourself inside and out. List down your physical characteristics, your strengths, weaknesses, the quality of your voice, etc.
- Accent. Netflix shows are aired internationally, so you need to get your accents ready in case the role you’re auditioning for requires one. The last thing you want to do is talk with the worst British accent in front of casting directors from across the pond.
- Take risks . . . a lot of them. You need to stand out to be remembered. Casting directors are looking for a star and there isn’t anything more attractive in their eyes than a risk-taker.
Netflix has a reputation for making big stars out of unknown actors. Hopefully, with the pieces of advice given above, you’ll get the opportunity to help your career!Netflix Auditions: How to Increase Your Chances of Landing a Role in a Netflix Show by Holly